Most often, the services of a locksmith become necessary unexpectedly. At any time of the day or night. And even in unexpected places. How much does it cost to call a locksmith? We reviewed this in detail in this article.
If you’ve ever been locked out of your home or car, you know the frustration of needing a locksmith. But how much does it cost to hire a 24-hour locksmith? The answer depends on where you live.
Cost of Services
|Installing deadbolts||$45 – $85|
|Rekeying||$90 – $180|
|Unlocking your house||$70 – $185|
|Changing locks||$50 – $220|
|Installing electronic locks||$60 – $650|
You shouldn’t attempt to pry open your automobile door with a coat hanger; it won’t work (you might do more harm than good, and it might not even work). If you do not have roadside assistance covered by your car warranty or insurance, you may expect the following charges to appear on your locksmith’s invoice:
- A locksmith service for a car may cost anywhere from $80 and $180 on average.
- If you wish to get access to your locked automobile in the middle of the night, it will cost between $160 and $330.
- If you have lost your spare car key, its replacement might cost anywhere between $50 and $320.
What about Other Auto Locksmith Services?
In addition to providing “emergency” services, locksmiths can rekey your ignition (for a fee ranging from $50 to $160), replace your keypad (for a fee ranging from $420), make new “regular” keys (for a fee ranging from $6 to $18 per key), and make or reprogram transponder keys (which contain chips that allow you to unlock the car with the push of a button; these keys are the current industry standard, so your vehicle should have them Bear in mind that these are only the averages for the whole scale of values. Your vehicle’s make and model, as well as its age and the nature of the issue that needs to be fixed, will all play a role in determining the total price that you will be responsible for paying.
If You Call Locksmith to Your Home…
In the event that you find yourself unable to enter your home, you should get in touch with a locksmith. They are able to help with a wide array of key and lock-related problems. They are trained experts who can unlock your door in a matter of minutes for a fee of around $170.
A locksmith may also, among other things:
- Invest in new locks and get them installed. Depending on the specifics of the situation, a lock change can be necessary for reasons related to safety. The overall price of this method will not only be dependent on the number of locks that need to be changed, but also on the locks that you choose to use in this process. This treatment might cost anything from $60 to $350 each session. The labor that is necessary to install a lock may add anywhere from $16 to $45 to the price of the lock, which can range anywhere from $45 to $110.
- Replace the keys with new, unworn ones. What kind of a financial impact do you think it will have on you? In most cases, the hourly compensation is $80, and there is a chance that you may get an extra $180 for travel time.
- Altering the locks should be done as soon as it is humanly possible to do so. The expense of upgrading from a traditional key to a smart lock that is enabled via Bluetooth will be prohibitively expensive. The installation of the system might cost as much as $2,200, despite the fact that it is a financially responsible choice for a variety of different kinds of homes. It is no longer necessary for you to be anxious about losing our home key, which is a positive development in light of the current predicament.
There is no shortage of locksmiths who are available at any time of day. If you call a locksmith on the weekend, after normal business hours, or on a holiday, you should expect to pay an additional fee of $150 to $250 for their services. If you need to replace lost keys after a late-night flight, you will probably be charged a higher fee for a locksmith to come out after hours to do the replacement.
The majority of locksmiths charge a higher cost for operating on residential properties and in locations that are considered to be more remote. If you need the assistance of a locksmith at your home, you should anticipate being charged an additional $50 to $100 to cover their travel time and expenses. It is crucial to find a locksmith who is located in your nearby neighborhood because of the high expense of calls made across long distances.
You won’t believe it, but there are times of the day when locksmiths are busier than others. The busiest times of the day are in the morning and evening, since that’s when people are leaving for or coming back from work and realize they can’t locate their keys. If you find yourself in need of a locksmith on the weekend or a holiday, keep in mind that there is a possibility that you could be charged an extra price of up to $150.
The Difference Between Electronic and Traditional Locks
When switching from traditional locks to electronic ones, the cost is around $150 per lock on average. The use of a keypad to unlock the door rather than a key is made possible by keyless door locks, which are an innovative technical improvement. Keep in mind that the cost of installation is likely going to go up since keyless locks require more work to install than traditional locks.
Average Cost per State
In California, the average cost of a 24-hour locksmith service is around $150. In Texas, the cost is around $125, while in New York, the cost is around $175. In Florida, the cost is around $100. In Illinois, the cost is around $125. In Pennsylvania, the cost is around $150. In Ohio, the cost is around $125. In Michigan, the cost is around $150. In Georgia, the cost is around $125. In North Carolina, the cost is around $150. In Virginia, the cost is around $125.
When hiring a 24-hour locksmith, it’s important to make sure you’re getting a reputable service. Ask for references and read reviews online to make sure you’re getting a quality service. Also, make sure to ask about any additional fees that may be added to the cost of the service.
Overall, the cost of a 24-hour locksmith service varies depending on where you live. In general, the cost is around $125-$175. It’s important to do your research and make sure you’re getting a reputable service.