Discovering the best laptop under $500 does not sound so hard, right? You would think it’s simply a matter of striking the “under $500” filter on your shopping selection, finding the best looking laptop at the top of the list, and clicking buy to end up the deed.
But knowing how to choose the right one with the ideal set of specs can often indicate the difference in between utilizing a laptop that lasts for many years, and owning an expensive paperweight a few weeks after you checkout.
But fear not. As you’ve concerned the right location to learn more about the best laptops under $500 in 2017, and find everything you have to understand such that you can get a dependable and trendy note pad on the cheap!
Toshiba Chromebook 2
Price: $341.86|Functions: 1920 x 1080 IPS LED screen, Intel Core i3 CPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM
WHY IT ‘S A LEADING PICK: The Toshiba’s screen is downright gorgeous (and inexpensive!).
When we evaluated the Toshiba Chromebook 2 this year, we crowned it as not simply among the best Chromebooks of 2017, but one of the best laptops of the past few years duration. It’s quick, light on the arm, well-designed, and best of all features a jaw-droppingly beautiful 1920 x 1080 IPS LED screen. Seems like the complete bundle, right?
Read: Toshiba Chromebook 2 Hands On Evaluation
Of course, there’s one big, glaring, undeniable 800-pound operating system in the room that we have not discussed yet: Chrome OS. Google is able to subsidize so much premium hardware in the Toshiba Chromebook 2 is because the company makes that revenue back later on when you are roped into using Chrome as your main web browser. Google scrapes information from how you use the laptop and the websites you check out to sell back to advertisers, which could be an intrusion of personal privacy to some individuals, or just a cost-cutting measure for others. Add this to Chrome OS’s very locked-down app environment, and you get a laptop that’s simply as divisive as it is affordable.
In either case, there’s no denying that the Toshiba Chromebook 2 is hands down the fastest, most beautiful laptop you’ll get for under $500 today.
Lenovo IdeaPad 100S
Price: $167.11|Functions: Extremely cheap price, solid develop quality and attractive style
WHY IT ‘S A TOP CHOICE: The IdeaPad comes in at a “see to believe” pricetag.
The Lenovo IdeaPad 100S isn’t necessarily the most effective laptop around, however oh man is it low-cost. Ridiculously cheap, unbelievably cheap, make you hit the refresh button two times, cheap. At simply $189, the Lenovo 100S is available in at the bottom-tier of price points, while still using enough standard performance and features to make it to # 2 on our list. With a 1.8 GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB of DDR3L RAM, and a 32GB flash hard disk drive, the Lenovo IdeaPad 100S in some way manages to cram in adequate specifications to deal with most web searching jobs and video formats, all in a shell that really looks respectable thinking about the cost.
The screen does leave a bit to be desired as far as color duplication and total brightness are worried, however a price point this low, exists actually any space to complain?
Price: $559.99|Features: Core i5 CPU is a powerhouse to be reckoned with, design is excellent
WHY IT ‘S A LEADING PICK: Inexpensive laptops do not need to be effective, however the ASUS still is.
At $499, the ASUS F555LA-EH1 hardly inches in under the mark we set out with on this list, once you see how much power it has the ability to bring around at that price you won’t even remember what the word “spending plan” means.
With an Intel Core i5-5200U 2.2 GHz onboard CPU, an Intel HD Graphics 5500 chip, 8GB of DDR RAM and 1TB of readily available hard disk drive area, the Asus is simply as zippy and capable as other laptops twice its cost. The smooth surface on the case and paintjob on the keyboard and trackpad are both style choices that pay off handsomely, and the F5555 likewise has the most readily available ports of any other design in this roundup. In general this is a solid device, containing a set of specifications that could run a number of current and older games without a flinch.
Dell Inspiron 11 3000
Price: $351.93|Features: 1920 x 1080 IPS LED screen, Intel Core i5 CPU, 4GB DDR3 RAM
WHY IT ‘S A LEADING PICK: A convertible with all the trimmings? Yes please.
If you have actually been staying up to date with the kid’s trends these days, you ‘d already understand that laptops are like “completely out”, while tablets and convertibles are the next huge thing in mobile computing for their generation. College students in particular love a “college laptop” that can quickly separate from its keyboard for an all-screen, all-mobile experience, which is why the Dell Inspiron 11 3000 is on our list.
Convertibles can be a quite hit or miss out on affair sometimes, but thankfully the Inspiron strikes method more frequently than it misses. The design puts it head and shoulders above the rest of laptops in this price tier, and the flexibility you obtain from a laptop and a tablet in one– for under $500, no less– just cannot be overstated.
Price: $449.99|Features: Substantial 17′ 6 ″ screen, 6GB of DDR3L ultra-efficient RAM
WHY IT ‘S A LEADING PICK: The HP has a stellar design and solid spec list.
As constantly, a list of budget plan laptops wouldn’t be complete without a look from the king of cheap laptops: HP. The company has actually been having a hard time recently to maintain its previous splendor, but if there’s one thing they understand over there it’s how to make an excellent laptop that does what you require it to for not a whole lot of money.
The HP 17z-P100 is a big laptop that offers lots of screen realty for professionals who have to run several windows at a time, or if you simply wish to sit back on the weekend for a Netflix marathon. The onboard speakers perform admirably, and the keyboard and trackpad felt pretty terrific to the touch once they were both a bit more broken in. The 17z is a great way to capture up on all type of media without spending a ton, and provides reasonable video gaming power to boot.
Key Factors to a Good Laptop Under $500
When we’re speaking about budget computing, the secret to everything is compromise. Some laptops on this list have great screens, however poor performance, while others have terrific specs and lackluster design.
No laptop under $500 is going to be the best of the best out there today, but as long as you keep an eager eye on the precise features you desire and want to compromise for the rest, it does not have to be all bad even if you’re not dropping an arm and a leg on your next mobile computer.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
When looking for a budget plan laptop, it can be simple to fall under the trap of choosing the one that has the best requirements on paper, just to find out the performance still drags in individual. The picks on this list are powerful, but their speed is likewise stabilized by solid design and strong keyboards which is why they have the ability to vanquish the big number of rivals that flood the budget area at the start of every year. Do not think that just because a laptop is cheap on the wallet instantly suggests it needs to feel inexpensive in the hand as an outcome.
Functions to Look For
- Although AMD might own the budget-tier of CPUs when it comes to developing your next home computer, in laptops, Intel still has a lot of skin in the game.
- Intel processors can still be competitive on budget plan laptops, thanks to the many improvements the company has made just recently with its efficiency-centric line of CPUs.
- Anything in the Core i family is a solid choice (even decreasing to i3), and AMD processors from the A8-7000 lineup are always a solid choice for item durability and power.
- All the laptops noted here included a minimum of 2GB of DDR3 RAM, which is plenty to handle most multi-tasking days or several tabs open at a time.
- 8GB is perfect for DDR3, nevertheless 4GB of DDR3L is simply as great provided the efficiency savings you’ll get with the more recent RAM technology.
- In the case of cheap laptops, never ever instantly assume it’s going to have enough storage area to handle a few programs and a motion picture or more.
- SSDs are too expensive to include at this price tier, which is why nearly all of the designs here run on a routine HDD instead.
- If speed is the name of your game, you’re much better off springing an extra $100 for a design that has an SSD, preferably 128GB or above.
- The amount of pixels necessary to develop a complete HD 1920 x 1080 screen do not come cheap, which is why the Toshiba Chromebook 2 is the only laptop here that gets to claim the honor.
- This in mind, 1366 x 1768 resolution isn’t all that horrible if the technology behind it is solid.
- In general, watch out for anything that brings an IPS LED screen, although in particular cases LCD can do the job simply as well.
- This is where you have to be the most careful when searching for your next spending plan laptop.
- Producers are infamous for making laptops under $500 with the most affordable, flimsiest plastic possible that will crack or even break completely when dropped from heights less than three feet.
- Nearly all of the laptops we have actually noted here made the list not only for their specifications, however also since they handled to walk the fine line between “cheap” and “cheaply made” in the best way possible.
So Which Laptop Under $500 is Right For You?
Sure, these aren’t laptops that are going to blow anybody away at first sight, and only one entry on this list even has the benefit of having the ability to call itself “full-HD”. Their keyboards might be better and their storage capabilities could be larger, their RAM might be quicker and their graphics beefier … however that’s not what a budget laptop is for.
Budget plan laptops can be an excellent pick for any member of your household, whether it’s their first mobile phone or your high-school graduate requires something inexpensive they can batter at college. They’re flexible all-rounders that do a great deal of various jobs along with they need to get done, and for under $500 you could not truly ask for anything more than that. All the laptops in this list are a part of that pedigree, and the majority of exceed the expectations set by their retail stickers while barely perspiring.